ADHD's many deficits cannot be ameliorated by pharmacotherapy alone. Researchers and clinicians are investigating computer interventions and physical activity that get to the root of the ADHD domain, such as inattention, memory, or time management.
The authors identified 4 anatomical patterns in participants with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder associated with head size, delayed development, symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and cognitive performance.
Patients with ADHD may require careful monitoring to permit early detection and treatment of disorders of the basal ganglia or cerebellum.
These results do not support existing hypotheses on the role of anxiety as either an exacerbating or protective factor for ADHD-related aggression.
Researchers analyzed neuroimaging data from a group of 1093 adolescents from the IMAGEN project.
This research rejects any association between increased risk for ADHD and changes in children's microbiota related to cesarean delivery or antibiotic use.
Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
Researchers found that children who were compliant with drug therapy had a significantly lower risk for oppositional defiant disorder or conduct disorder than those who were noncompliant.
Clinicians may find these data useful in considering the mediating effects of family function and psychiatric comorbidities among patients with ADHD.
This increase may be the result of expanded continuing medical education regarding ADHD that has raised physician awareness, as well as modifications in diagnostic criteria.
Guidelines on which ADHD medications should be preferred across different age groups are unclear, and the safety and benefits of these medications remain controversial.
The authors argue that, given the findings of this study, the awareness of the detrimental effects of both smoking and depression upon children should be raised among parents.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- Probiotics, Depression, and the Role of Inflammation
- Psychotropic Medications May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Bipolar Disorder
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction