Generic Name and Formulations:
Adenosine 3mg/mL; soln for IV inj; preservative-free.
Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
Indications for ADENOCARD:
Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT), including that associated with accessory bypass tracts (Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome).
Give peripherally by rapid bolus either directly into vein or through IV line (followed by saline flush) over 1–2 seconds. Initially 6mg; if no result within 1–2 mins, may give 12mg; may repeat a second 12mg dose if needed. Max 12mg/dose.
<50kg: Give centrally or peripherally by rapid IV bolus, followed by saline flush. Initially 0.05–0.1mg/kg; if no conversion of PSVT within 1–2 mins, may give incrementally higher doses, increasing the amount by 0.05–0.1mg/kg. Continue until sinus rhythm is established, or max single dose of 0.3mg/kg is used. ≥50kg: as adult.
Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block, sick sinus syndrome, unless paced.
Attempt vagal maneuvers, when clinically advisable, before administration. Discontinue if high-level heart block occurs. Avoid in asthma. Obstructive lung disease (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Discontinue if severe respiratory difficulties occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Concomitant digoxin +/– verapamil may cause ventricular fibrillation. Potentiated by dipyridamole. Antagonized by methylxanthines (eg, caffeine, theophylline). Carbamazepine may increase degree of heart block.
Facial flushing, dyspnea, chest pressure, nausea, headache, lightheadedness, numbness, arrhythmias at time of conversion; rare: ventricular fibrillation.
Prefilled syringes (2mL, 4mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer Disease Examined
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users