Clinicians must be aware of strategies in order to effectively handle patients receiving these drug regimens.
The NIAAA came up with a new online resource to help find care for alcohol use disorder.
In patients with chronic alcohol-use disorder, electrolyte disturbances and acid-base disorders are common.
Many ophthalmologists won't write more than 10 opioid prescriptions a year.
A loss of 0.28 years in life expectancy has been because of drug-poisoning deaths.
Abuse-deterrent opioid formulations are not the most effective way to solve the opioid crisis.
Virtual reality may help combat the opioid crisis.
The FDA is allowing the marketing of a mobile app in order to help treat substance abuse.
People with an elevated polygenic risk of major depressive disorder may be at risk for alcohol dependence.
A higher level of addiction is associated with cigarettes that have a higher level of nictone.
Adolescents who had more severe ADHD symptoms as children were more likely to initiate smoking.
New pharmacotherapies in combination with psychotherapy and counseling have proven effective in preventing relapse.
Alcohol use and high-risk drinking were increased from 2001-2002 to 2012-2013.
Frequent cannabis use was shown to be associated with an increased risk of major depressive disorder and suicidal ideation.
Major depressive disorder and alcohol dependence share common genetic factors.
Opioids prescribed after surgery are often unused and improperly disposed of.
Risk for neonatal drug withdrawal was substantially higher in newborns exposed to both opioids and psychotropic drugs than in those exposed to opioids alone.
Medically supervised withdrawal can be used as a therapy for pregnant women addicted to opioids.
Opioid prescribing can be positively impacted by a comprehensive initiative.
Cannabis users experience negative consequences, including motor vehicle accidents, emergency room visits, and addiction.
There is a higher persistence rate of opioid prescribing among cancer survivors.
Rates have doubled in people over 50, according to the report.
The development of a new alcohol screening and brief intervention manual for use has been announced.
Patients who take their ADHD medications may have a lower risk of alcohol and drug problems.
Smartphone addiction appears to be linked to sleep disorders, anxiety and stress disorders, and greater consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
Pharmacologic intervention in opioid addiction is pertinent to the prevention of relapse and over dose in adolescents.
According to a study presented at the Research Society on Alcoholism, heavy drinking is associated with biological aging at a cellular level.
Cognitive behavioral therapy was shown to improve pain and function in patients with a number of pain modalities.
More than half of all drug overdose deaths may be caused by fentanyl.
Rates of neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) have risen dramatically in recent years.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy