The number of opioid overdose deaths in the United States reached a new record last year with 72,000 deaths, which works out to about 200 a day.
Ruling against the recommendation of one of its chief experts, the US Food and Drug Administration approved an extremely potent new opioid painkiller, Dsuvia.
The Stopping the Transmission of Opioids to the Next Generation tool allows clinicians treating women of childbearing age with opioid use disorder to estimate risks associated with pregnancies in this patient population.
Many patients in a workers' compensation cohort have persistent opioid use.
The guideline formulated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in an effort to curb opioid overdose-related deaths included a recommendation for steep reductions in opioid doses for patients taking high doses of the drug for chronic pain.
The training has information on how to use several products including a nasal atomizer, Narcan Nasal Spray and Evzio.
Lofexidine may expand the treatment options available for managing withdrawal when buprenorphine and methadone are unavailable or undesirable.
A bipartisan bill meant to combat the United States' opioid abuse epidemic was signed into law October 24 by President Donald Trump.
Adolescents are increasingly using e-cigarette products such as pod-based systems but have misperceptions and lack of knowledge about these products.
Recreational marijuana recently became legal in Canada, and while many welcome the move, others have serious concerns.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- Minocycline vs Routine Care for Clinical Symptom Improvement in Schizophrenia
- Insomnia in Borderline Personality Disorder May Increase Suicide Risk
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- Social Decline a Predictor of Conversion Outcome in High-Risk Individuals
- Buprenorphine/Samidorphan Helpful in Refractory Depression