Generic Name and Formulations:
Pegademase bovine 250 Units/mL; soln for IM inj; preservative-free.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ADAGEN:
Enzyme replacement therapy for adenosine deaminase (ADA) deficiency in patients with severe combined immunodeficiency disease (SCID) who are not suitable candidates for, or who have failed, bone marrow transplantation.
Individualize. Give by IM inj every 7 days. 1st dose: 10 Units/kg. 2nd dose: 15 Units/kg. 3rd dose: 20 Units/kg. Maintenance dose: 20 Units/kg per week. May increase by 5 Units/kg/week if necessary; max single dose 30 Units/kg. Biochemical goals: maintain plasma ADA activity (trough levels before maintenance inj) in the range of 15–35μmol/hr/mL; decline in erythrocyte dATP to ≤0.005–0.015μmol/mL packed erythrocytes, or ≤1% of the total erythrocyte adenine nucleotide (ATP + dATP) content, with a normal ATP level, as measured in a pre-injection sample.
As preparatory or support therapy for bone marrow transplantation. Severe thrombocytopenia.
Determine plasma ADA activity and red cell dATP prior to treatment. Measure plasma ADA activity (pre-injection) every 1–2 weeks during the first 8–12 weeks to establish dose. Once dATP level has fallen adequately, measure 2–4 times a year during the remainder of the first year and 2–3 times a year thereafter. Between 3 and 9 months, determine plasma ADA twice a month, then monthly until after 18–24 months of treatment. After 2 years of maintenance therapy, measure plasma ADA every 2–4 months and red cell dATP twice yearly. Monitor immune function and clinical status; improvement may be gradual but should be apparent by end of first year of therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate vidarabine. May be antagonized by 2'-deoxycoformycin.
Headache, inj site pain; possible antibody formation (perform assay if suspected).
Single-use vial (1.5mL)—4
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV