Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and reduced diphtheria toxoids, acellular pertussis vaccine; aluminum phosphate adsorbed; susp for IM inj; contains 2-phenoxyethanol and traces of formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for ADACEL:
Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis booster immunization in persons 10–64 years of age.
Adults and Children:
<10yrs or ≥65yrs: not recommended. 10–64yrs (≥5yrs after last dose of tetanus toxoid, diphtheria toxoid, and/or pertussis-containing vaccine): 0.5mL IM once into deltoid muscle.
Anaphylaxis associated with any previous diptheria, tetanus, pertussis vaccine. Encephalopathy within 7 days after previous pertussis-containing vaccine.
Progressive or unstable neurologic disorders. Guillain-Barre syndrome (within 6 weeks) of previous tetanus vaccination. Previous Arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: not recommended until ≥10yrs after prior dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Immunodeficiency. Risk of syncope. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Latex allergy (prefilled syringes). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions, headache, body ache or muscle weakness, tiredness, chills, fever, GI upset.
Register pregnant patients exposed to Adacel by calling (800) 822-2463.
Single-dose vials—5, 10; Single-dose prefilled syringes—5
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition