Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and reduced diphtheria toxoids, acellular pertussis vaccine; aluminum phosphate adsorbed; susp for IM inj; contains 2-phenoxyethanol and traces of formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for ADACEL:
Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis booster immunization in persons 10–64 years of age.
Adults and Children:
<10yrs or ≥65yrs: not recommended. 10–64yrs (≥5yrs after last dose of tetanus toxoid, diphtheria toxoid, and/or pertussis-containing vaccine): 0.5mL IM once into deltoid muscle.
Anaphylaxis associated with any previous diptheria, tetanus, pertussis vaccine. Encephalopathy within 7 days after previous pertussis-containing vaccine.
Progressive or unstable neurologic disorders. Guillain-Barre syndrome (within 6 weeks) of previous tetanus vaccination. Previous Arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: not recommended until ≥10yrs after prior dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Immunodeficiency. Risk of syncope. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Latex allergy (prefilled syringes). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions, headache, body ache or muscle weakness, tiredness, chills, fever, GI upset.
Register pregnant patients exposed to Adacel by calling (800) 822-2463.
Single-dose vials—5, 10; Single-dose prefilled syringes—5
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder