Generic Name and Formulations:
Dapsone 5%; gel.
Indications for ACZONE:
Wash skin and pat dry. Apply pea-sized amount to affected area in a thin layer twice daily in the AM & PM. Rub in gently and completely. Wash hands after use. Reevaluate if no improvement after 12 weeks.
Avoid in congenital or idiopathic methemoglobinemia. G6PD deficiency: may have increased risk of methemoglobinemia or hemolytic anemia; discontinue if occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of hemolysis in G6PD-deficient patients with concomitant trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, other folic acid antagonists (eg, pyrimethamine), anticonvulsants, rifampin, St. John's wort. Increased risk of methemoglobinemia with concomitant sulfonamides, acetaminophen, chloroquine, nitrates, nitrites, nitrofurantoin, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primaquine, quinine, and others. Skin/hair discoloration with topical benzoyl peroxide.
Application site reactions (oiliness, peeling, dryness, erythema, pruritus).
Gel 5% (tubes)—60g, 90g; Gel 7.5% (pumps)—30g, 60g, 90g
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders