Generic Name and Formulations:
Ursodiol 300 mg; caps.
Indications for ACTIGALL:
Dissolution of radiolucent, noncalcified gallstones <20 mm in diameter in patients who refuse cholecystectomy or are at increased risk during surgery. Prevention of gallstone formation in obese patients experiencing rapid weight loss.
Dissolution: 8–10mg/kg per day in 2–3 divided doses. Prevention: 300mg twice daily.
Not for calcified, radio-opaque, or radiolucent bile pigment stones. Compelling need for cholecystectomy.
Obtain sonogram at 6 and 12 months. After complete dissolution, repeat sonogram in 1–3 months and then discontinue. Gallstones can recur. Measure SGOT (AST) and SGPT (ALT) at start, 1 and 3 months later, and then every 6 months; monitor frequently if levels increase, and discontinue if elevations persist. Pregnancy (Cat.B): not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Reduced absorption with bile acid sequestrants, aluminum-containing antacids. Estrogens, oral contraceptives, clofibrate, other lipid lowering drugs may reduce effectiveness by increasing hepatic cholesterol secretion.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition