Generic Name and Formulations:
Corticorelin ovine (as the trifluoroacetate) 100mcg/vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ACTHREL:
For use in differentiating pituitary and ectopic production of ACTH in patients with ACTH-dependent Cushings syndrome.
Adults and Children:
Testing pituitary corticotrophin function: 1mcg/kg IV as a single dose. ACTH and cortisol response prolonged and remain elevated for up to 2 hours. Doses >1mcg/kg: not recommended. If repeat test needed, do tests at the same time of day as original test.
Higher doses associated with transient tachycardia, decreased BP, loss of consciousness, and asystole; symptoms may be reduced if given as a 30 second IV infusion instead of bolus inj. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Plasma ACTH response inhibited by dexamethasone. Heparin to maintain IV cannula patency: not recommended.
Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) analogue.
Flushing of the face, neck, upper chest; tachycardia, hypotension, dyspnea, chest compression or tightness with higher doses.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition