ACETAZOLAMIDE INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Acetazolamide 500mg/vial; pwd for inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for ACETAZOLAMIDE INJECTION:
Give by IV inj. Edema: give 1–2 days on, 1 day off. 250mg–375mg once daily. CHF: 250–375mg once daily in the AM. Acute high altitude sickness: see literature.
Hypokalemia. Hyponatremia. Severe renal, hepatic, or adrenocortical impairment. Hyperchloremic acidosis. Cirrhosis. Chronic noncongestive angle-closure glaucoma. Sulfonamide allergy.
Respiratory impairment. Renal calcium calculi. Diabetes. Gout. Monitor blood and electrolytes. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Inhibits renal excretion of basic drugs and promotes excretion of acidic drugs. May increase toxicity of salicylates (acidosis), folic acid antagonists. Hypokalemia with corticosteroids, potassium wasting diuretics. Monitor phenytoin, primidone, antihyperglycemics, quinidine, lithium, cyclosporine. Antagonizes methenamine.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
Anorexia, drowsiness, confusion, malaise, depression, GI distress, paresthesias, tinnitus, acidosis, initial hypokalemia, hyperuricemia, transient myopia; renal calculi, nephrotoxicity, hepatic dysfunction, blood dyscrasias, rash, fever, photosensitivity (rare).
Formerly known under the brand name Diamox.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling