A five question screening tool focusing on middle-age educational and occupational attainment helps predict dementia risk.
Currently FDA-approved for treating pseudo bulbar affect, the drug also benefits agitation.
The first randomized-controlled clinical trials are underway to assess if early access to amyloid imaging PET scan results can inform treatment decisions for mild cognitive impairment and dementia.
RVT-101 improved cognition and function when combined with donepezil in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease.
Investigators identified a possible disease-modifying effect of solanezumab as an early treatment for Alzheimer's disease, but the benefit in clinical practice remains unclear.
Among those with mild cognitive impairment, women's cognitive abilities deteriorated twice as quickly as men.
Better balance needed between cure, prevention, and care for patients with dementia.
Early academic performance may be better indicator of cognitive reserve than formal education, occupational complexity.
Burden of cognitive impairment may be greater in this vulnerable population, who require vigilance and constant self-care.
In patients with mild cognitive impairment, a holistic, multidisciplinary intervention improved attention, concentration, and problem solving.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice