Obesity rates are nearly 40% among US adults, but traditional treatment methods are found to contribute to weight stigma, creating a population that's unhealthier than ever.
Borderline personality disorder, a disorder that is often misunderstood by the general public, also raises questions for psychiatrists.
Mark Zimmerman, MD, discusses controversies related to categorizing severity and identifying optimal treatment of depression.
Although the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the US Preventive Services Task Force recommend screening for depression in the general adult population, including pregnant and postpartum women, evidence for such screening in the perinatal setting is limited.
Designing the Therapeutic Space: Using Layout, Color, and Other Elements to Get Patients in the Right Frame of Mind
While there is no single way to design a conducive therapeutic room, mental health professionals can help ensure that clients have a comfortable therapeutic experience by keeping the area a welcoming, cozy, warm, and safe environment for emotionally vulnerable individuals.
Adolescents infected with HIV have a greater risk for psychiatric hospitalizations compared with those not infected with HIV.
Researchers examined evidence suggesting that probiotics may exert antidepressant effects via anti-inflammatory mechanisms.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- Minocycline vs Routine Care for Clinical Symptom Improvement in Schizophrenia
- Insomnia in Borderline Personality Disorder May Increase Suicide Risk
- Mortality Rates in Parkinson Disease Psychosis With Pimavanserin, Quetiapine
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- Social Decline a Predictor of Conversion Outcome in High-Risk Individuals
- Buprenorphine/Samidorphan Helpful in Refractory Depression
- Depression and Alcohol Misuse Lower Odds of Achieving Viral Suppression in HIV